Sweet potatoes are a perfect inexpensive ingredient for a filling healthy blender soup that’s packed full of vitamins. Just one sweet potato will give you all the vitamin A you need for your recommended daily allowance.
An average sized sweet potato also contains high levels of vitamin B6 helping to keep those arteries and blood vessels in good working order, vitamin C for skin, teeth and bones and E to boost immunity and help protect you from all those viruses.
These invaluable orange potatoes are also very high in both potassium and fiber to help lower blood sugar, and keep you fuller for longer.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
This rich and tasty sweet potato soup is very filling and has an incredibly smooth texture.
Ingredients (Serves 4 at 240 calories per serving)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 chopped medium sized onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 2 baked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup low fat milk
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Gently cook the onions and garlic clove in the oil until soft and cooked.
- Add the broth, milk, pepper, cumin, chili powder and cooked onions to the blender jug.
- Remove the skin from the potatoes and also add to the jug.
- Blend in a good quality blender until smooth and creamy.
Easy Sweet Potato Soup
This easy sweet potato soup is a firm family favorite that’s sweet, filling and delicious.
Ingredients (Serves 4 at 240 calories per serving )
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 good sized onion chopped
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 36 fl oz vegetable stock (1liter)
- ½ cup low fat coconut milk
- Handful of Cilantro roughly chopped
- 4 medium sweet potatoes grated (about 2 lb)
- Gently fry the onions in the oil until soft and translucent, add the curry paste and cook for another minute.
- Add the grated potato and the stock to the pot, bring to the to the boil, and then cover and simmer for about 5 mins or until the potato is soft.
- once the sweet potatoes has softened remove it from the heat and stir in the coconut milk and seasoning, then set aside and leave to cool for a while.
- Transfer the soup to a quality blender (you may need to do this in two batches) and blend until smooth.
- Sprinkle with the Cilantro and serve with warmed bread rolls or naan breads.